If you have installed a new Debian Lenny machine and you want to install VMWARE 2.0 on it you need to do the following steps in order to finish the installation succesfully.
1. Installing Required Packages
First we update our package database:
Now we install the packages required by VMware on our Debian Lenny system by running
apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` libx11-6 libx11-dev x-window-system-core x-window-system xspecs libxtst6 psmisc build-essential
Next we create the directory /home/vm where we want to install our virtual machines later.
The virtual machines require much disk space, make sure you have enough free space on your /home partition for the virtual machines.
2. Getting VMware Server
The VMware server can be downloaded for free from the VMware website: http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
To run the VMware Server software you need a (free) serial number, that can be requested by clicking on the “Register now” button on the download page.
3. Downloading The Software
To setup VMWare Server on Debian Lenny, we need the following packages from the VMware downloads page:
- VMware Server for linux (Binary tar.gz)
The normal w-get did’nt work for me so i did a small work-around to put the *.tar image on your Linux machine trough Windows.
- Download the tool PSFTP (http://tartarus.org/~simon/putty-snapshots/x86/psftp.exe)
- Locate the vmware download
- Open psftp and connect to your server
Open <IP Address>
Login as root
- When your in the console type the following commands.
lpc <Path to local file>
- To check if your in the right local directory type the following command.
- Now we make an extra directory for the VMware Files type
- Go to
- And push the file to the server
- And wait..
After the VMware file is uploaded we are going to extract the file
tar xvfz VMware-server-*.tar.gz
4 .Installing VMware
Before running the installation script, you need to one more thing otherwise you will get an error while compiling the software.
apt-get install gcc-4.1
Now run the installer script and follow the steps:
After the completion you can enter your vmware trough https://<IP>:8333